Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Crusty J

Today was the first day of my professional career as a teacher. We had in-service training for all staff which involved several presentations, including information regarding sexual harassment, parent involvement, child protection, etc. We also played several ice breakers which always mortify me to no end. I am so socially awkward...

The highlight of my day was meeting a teacher name C and his brother whom I shall call Crusty J. They both were such colorful characters--the type that my roommate and I love dearly (yes, I thought of you today, A). Crusty J had a huge bushy, messy beard and long hair, both of which were of the grayish variety. On top of his head was a well-worn cowboy hat that was lined by traditional Lakota beading. There is no doubt that his western-style shirt had seen better days, but the faded look suited the man that wore it. His leathery skin and sparkling eyes confirmed in my spirit that I would come to adore this man. Crusty J had taught at Little Wound over three decades, but has since retired. His brother, C, also had a bushy beard and dancing eyes. We had a wonderful lunch conversation and I have purposed in my heart to convince Crusty J and his little brother C that we should be friends. However, Crusty J was a bit gruff, so I must be patient but I am convinced there friendship will be invaluable.

No comments: