Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Oops...I Did it Again


Today solidified the fact that I am complete nerd. I was trying to paint the ugly tubs I got from a teacher-reject pile. They are a hideous barf color and I wanted to spray paint them a pretty daffodil yellow. The can kept getting clogged and I wasn't sure what to do. I tried to rinse out the spray nozzle, but that didn't work. As a last resort, I stuck a tiny screw driver down the hole of the bottle to unclog the spout. Well, I certainly unclogged it--I managed to spray a huge amount directly in my face.

I dropped the can in horror and ran to the bathroom as my eyes were stinging from the chemicals in the paint. After flushing my eyes, I looked up in the mirror. I was horrified to see that my face was completely yellow--my eyebrows, eyelashes, up my nose, parts of my hair, simply covered. I scrubbed and scrubbed by couldn't get it off. Mortified, I left the bathroom and showed myself to my aide. She nearly died laughing--as did the K-2 principal, another aide, my co-teacher, the janitor, etc. I decided to bike home and try to get the stuff off my skin before I broke out in a rash. It was so humbling to walk down the hallway like that. Just when I thought I was safe, a gang of about seven maintenance men saw me hiding my face and asked me what was wrong...I could still hear the peals of their laughter as I biked away.

I called daddy to see how I could get the paint off. He recommended gasoline so I hung up on him. I ended up using nail polish remover. It really stung and since I had to put it on my lips, I ingested some and now feel woozy. Part of my hair still has yellow streaks.

When I came back to school, TM, my principal, laughed her head off when she saw my now clean face. Apparently she had heard the story as had the whole rest of the school. Oh my.

I also learned that I had given the payroll person the wrong routing number for my checking account which resulted in everyone's payroll being rejected. This IS NOT a good thing in Pine Ridge. I am friends with the woman and she was gracious enough not to tell anyone that there pay would be late or who was responsible. What a great start I am off to!

P.S. I snapped a picture with most of the paint scrubbed off, but a bit remaining just for laughs!

1 comment:

Aaron and Katie Musser said...

Awww, Brittany....ha..I'm sorry! I must admit, that did bring a smile to my face today! ;-)

And I'm so happy to hear your packages came in today!! It's always fun to surprise people. :-D

Anyway, I guess your first day actually starts *tomorrow* now? Ha, all that nervous build-up, and now you've got to wait another day??? Well, I'm sure it will be beautiful. :-)

-Aaron